From:   Amund Westin [mailto:am...@westin-emission.no]
Sent:   Thursday, January 23, 2003 1:54 PM
To:     emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject:        Electrical Safety - Canada

In Europe we follow the Low Voltage Directive (LVD) and the it applies in
the range 50-1000VAC and 75-1500VDC.

A 27VDC operated product will therefore in Europe, not be within the scope
of LVD. One reason for this must be that 27VDC is not assumed to be
hazardous voltage.

How is it in Canada ?
I have been told that electrical safety apply even with DC voltage way below
27V if the rated normal current is above a specified level. So it seems that
Canada is not strictly bounded to a voltage limit as in Europe, but rather
to the amount of energy with can flow into the 27VDC input terminal.

Can anybody confirm this ?

Best regards
Amund Westin
Oslo / Norway