Alan,

here is a definition of dBa:
dBa: Abbreviation for decibels adjusted. Weighted absolute noise power,
calculated in dB referenced to 3.16 picowatts (-85 dBm), which is 0 dBa.
(188) Note: The use of F1A-line or HA1-receiver weighting must be indicated
in parentheses as required. A one-milliwatt, 1000-Hz tone will read +85 dBa,
but the same power as white noise, randomly distributed over a 3-kHz band
(nominally 300 to 3300 Hz), will read +82 dBa, due to the frequency
weighting. Synonym dBrn adjusted. From this link:
http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/fs-1037/dir-010/_1471.htm

Now here is a definition of SPL:
Sound Pressure Level:
The sound pressure level at a point is measured in decibels (dB) and is
equal to 20 times the logarithm to the base 10 of the ratio of R.M.S. sound
pressure to the reference sound pressure. The reference sound pressure in
air is taken to be 2 * 10-5 Pa. From this link:
http://www.camets.com.au/info/glossary/spl.htm

Is this where some of the confusion is coming from? Some are thinking of
sound pressure and others are thinking in terms of sound power.

   Dave Cuthbert
   Micron Technology