Herr Stolle hat Recht.

Lfd. Nr. = 'laufende Nummer' - Brockhaus Bildwöterbuch, 1960 McGraw-Hill
A 'laufende Nummer' is litterally a 'running number', hence a serial number.

David

From: Thomas Stolle [mailto:off...@tstolle.in-berlin.de]
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 5:54 AM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Re: OT: Help with German Industrial Abbreviations

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 08:29:14 -0800, "Price, Ed" <ed.pr...@cubic.com>
wrote:

>I would like to ask if some of our list members, who are familiar with
>German industrial marking practices, to help settle a discussion.
>
>I am trying to determine the significance of markings on an auto radiator
ID
>plate. The plate caries the markings:
>
>                  Hans Windorf  A.-G.
>          4       Berlin - Schoenberg        63
>                  Werk Nr.16602 Lfd. Nr.413
>
>I somewhat assume that the "4" and the "63" refer to the fourth month of
>1963 as a date of manufacture. But what is the English equivalent of "Werk
>Nr." & "Lfd. Nr."? Might these refer to a contract number, a plant ID, or a
>design drawing number?

I seached for the company in the local fonbook, but I didn't found it,
so there is noch chance to ask here.
"Werk Nr." perhaps is another word for type-number (the name of the
device). It's also possible, that this company have had more areas
where they produced and the number describes one of this factories,
but because the number is so high, I think that the first guesswork
will be the right.
I am very sure, that "Lfd. Nr." means the same as "Seriennummer" in
German, I don't know the correct english word, but "S/N" is the short
form of it.

Perhaps it helps.

TSchau, Thomas (Berlin, Germany)

    http://ieeepstc.mindcruiser.com/