Vic -

Your assumption that at least Basic insulation is required
is correct.  However, creepage distances are based on rms
voltages, not peak.

The below assumes that the voltages you mentioned are
present on the heatsink of the FET.

Assuming that a true rms meter will indicate an rms voltage
between 250 Vrms and 300 Vrms, the minimum require creepage
>from Table 2L is 3.2 mm.

Based on the peak voltage you mentioned, the minimum
required clearance distance from Table 2H is 2.0 mm, plus
the added distance from Table 2J of 0.2, gives a total
minimum clearance distance of 2.2 mm.

Without knowing the particulars of the FET and its heatsink
in any great detail, an insulating pad is an appropriate and
common means of complying with the standard.  Unless you can
demonstrate that the pad will not compress to less than 3.2
mm thickness in the application, you'll probably need a
shouldered washer or something similar to add additional
creepage between the screw shank and the FET's heatsink.

Polymeric screws are available, but I can't speak regarding
their use in an elevated temperature.

Regards,

Peter L. Tarver, PE
Product Safety Manager