Hi Richard:

>   Does anyone know of web sites or other sources that describe feasible
>   alternatives to bominated fire retardants in plastics?

There are a number of alternatives to brominated
fire retardants:

    Phosphorus
    Mineral

Phosphorus is probably the most-used.

There are some other up-and-coming fire retardants,
one of which, I believe, is sand (or silicon).

You might try:

    www.polymeradditives.com

to get an idea of the various fire retardant
additives and manufacturers.

Or, you can buy a good book on flame-retardants:

    International Plastics Flammability Handbook
    by Jurgen Troitzsch
    Hanser Publishers
    ISBN 3-446-15156-7 Carl Hanser Verlag, Munich
    ISBN 0-19-520797-1 Oxford University Press, New York

Finally, check out:

    www.albermarle.com/saytexbrochf.htm

This web site discusses some of the hazardous
products of combustion from various brominated
fire retardants.  This web site may not be
impartial.

Best regards,
Rich

    http://ieeepstc.mindcruiser.com/