I read in !emc-pstc that Chris Maxwell <chris.maxw...@nettest.com> wrote
(in <83d652574e7af740873674f9fc12dbaaf7e...@utexh1w2.gnnettest.com>)
about 'Fiber optic cable testing per EN 55022:1998 ?' on Fri, 10 Jan
2003:
>So where is the "crossover point"?  Does it have to do with skin depth?
Maybe
>the photoelectric effect?  Why don't we talk about photons at 1Ghz?

Pragmatically, because there is no need to. Radio astronomers probably
find that their parsecage may vary. (;-)

>  Is it just
>because we don't have a material with the correct band gap to produce a 1Ghz
>photon?

I don't know whether anything will work in a MASER at 1 GHz, but there
is at 1.44 GHz, AIUI. Whether there could be an LED analogue working at
much lower frequencies seems a good question. Electron energy
transitions with low enough energies can occur between the outer shells
of heavy atoms, but whether electron/hole recombinations can occur with
such low energies is another matter..

>  On the other hand, can free electrons be "conducted" at light
>frequencies; or isn't there a material with enough of a skin depth at such
>frequencies?

The conduction need not necessarily be in a solid.

>  Anybody want to take a stab at enlightening(no pun intended)

Oh, please intend it!

> us
>all on this one?

Try sci.physics
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!

    http://ieeepstc.mindcruiser.com/