Hi Jim:

Thanks for your message.

>   The EMC Laboratory that I work for (Acme Testing Company in Acme,
>   Washington) has the quietest open-field Emissions Sites (OATS) within a
1000
>   mile radius.  We planned it that way.  The village of Acme has a total
>   population of under 100 people.  My home in Glacier, WA (five miles from
the
>   Canadian border) has a population of 90.  Cable and telephone companies do
>   not run underground cable for 90 people.  Cable or broadband Internet is a
>   wetdream that will never happen here.  It's 56k ... or nothing.
>
>   I find this daily interchange of EMC-related topics to be very important in
>   my work.  I will miss it if the participation dwindles.

Our intent is to provide more and better service
to our subscribers.

A few years ago, we surveyed our listserver subscribers.
One big feedback item was that many subscribers did not
want to get all of the messages, but only those that
were in their line of interest.

Two years ago, the IEEE engaged Mindcruiser to help
them set up e-communities.  EMC-PSTC was invited to
participate as we have nearly what the IEEE envisioned
as an e-community.

Mindcruiser would support selective e-mail distribution
of messages.

Jim and I and the IEEE worked with Mindcruiser to set
up an e-community web site.  Jim and I insisted that
the Mindcruiser site support the listserver function.
Mindcruiser developed a listserver support function
that worked, but we had a number of other problems
with Mindcruiser as did the IEEE.

So, the IEEE discontinued their contract with Mindcruiser
and changed to Community Zero, who already had a
functioning e-community web application.  Community Zero
met the IEEE needs, but does not and will not support
a listserver function.

Your feedback is important to us.  Clearly, the C-Zero
web-based e-community does not meet all of our subscriber
needs.

At the moment, we are looking at two, separate schemes.
One is web-based.  The other is listserver based.  The
web-based scheme can notify the listserver subscribers
of items posted on the web site.  But, it does not work
the other way around.

We won't sacrifice our function to meet the IEEE needs.
Whatever scheme the IEEE arrives at, it will not drive
us to satisfy the scheme versus satisfying our
subscribers.

Best wishes for the New Year!
Rich