Hi Nevin, George, and the group,

Although "screened" ethernet systems are favored in Europe, some of
them perform considerably worst than unshielded systems in terms of
emissions and immunity. Some poorly designed systems (use of pigtails
on shields) radiate more, and even the best systems cannot match the
immunity performance of unshielded systems in tests I helped perform
in Switzerland a few years ago. The paper, published at Roma94 is
posted on my site at:

http://emcesd.com/pdf/roma94.pdf

It is interesting to note that even good shielded systems can induce
failures of PCs in IEC 61000-4-4 by providing a low impedance path for
the common mode EMI to get "into the works" of the PCs, quite separate
issue from the data transmission itself. Unshielded systems do not do
this because of the CM chokes and balancing transformer design in the
interface circuity.

Doug

--

     ___          _       Doug Smith