The isolation is handled by:

a) transformer

AND

b) clearance/dielectric between "ground" and the nets that connect between the
connector and the transformer.

On the practical side, 5 mil of FR4 is enough to provide isolation in inner
layers, and min of about 50-75 mil on the ouoter layers.

The moat under transformer has nothing to do with it.

Neven

>       Not for safety, sorry the 802 reference was from the IEEE 802.3
> Ethernet
> standards. I forget which section but there is a section on the electrical
> characteristics for the port and the wiring. Unless its been changed there
is
> 1500 v isolation requirement between signals and chassis. Quite often that
was
> handled by separate ground plains between system and the Ethernet drivers.
If
> you look at a system that has external magnetic you cans see the split
between
> the input and output of the magnetics. It was there for noise control as
well.
>       If the SELV is earthed (logic and chassis kinda-sorta the same point)
> its functional between that and unearthed SELV, or earthed or unearthed
TNV-1,