From: Scott Lacey [ mailto:sco...@world.std.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 3:08 PM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Maintaining conductivity of freshly machined aluminum

To the group,

Does anyone know of any conductive coating, preferably spray-on,
that could be used on mating aluminum chassis surfaces? We
manufacture (in very low volume) test equipment that is housed in a
commercially manufactured anodized aluminum enclosure. Our
machine shop mills the anodizing from mating surfaces and adds
additional screw holes to improve bonding. The concern is that the
surfaces will not remain conductive over time.

Conventional dip alodyne is out of the question. The process would
mar the black anodized finish on the exposed portions. We are
considering using a wipe-on alodyne that Dupont sells to the
autobody trade but have concerns as to its suitability for this
application.

The ideal would be a spray-on conductive coating that we could
apply to the exposed aluminum after masking the anodized parts.
We would abrade the surfaces with fine Scotch Brite just pryor to
painting. Does anyone know of such a product?

Scott Lacey