Chris,
I have estimated this type of thing in the past assuming adiabatic
conditions. That is, the energy put into the material heats it and no energy
is lost during the heating. This gives the worse-case temperature rise. So,
what is needed is the electrical resistance of the material and the specific
heat of the material. Let's look at the case of a trace sized to handle 25
amps continuously with a 40 degree C rise.
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/9643/TraceWidth.htm

We will pulse it with 200 amps for 20 ms and see what the heat rise is
assuming adiabatic conditions:

The trace is 500 mils (1.27 cm) wide, 1 inch (2.54 cm) long, and is 1 oz
copper (1.4 mils or 3.55 x10^-3 cm). The resistance is 1 milliohm. The
energy absorbed is (I^2)(R)(t) = 0.8 joules. The density of copper is 8.96
gr/cm^3. The mass of this trace is 0.103 gr. The specific heat of copper is
0.386 J/gr*C. The specific heat of this trace is therefore 0.0398J/C which
gives a heat rise of 20 degrees C for a 200 amp, 20ms pulse.  I have
neglected the change in resistance and specific heat with temp.

I have actually viewed the voltage drop across a metal line as it was heated
by a pulse. From this one can plot the temperature versus time. The real
issue, I think are the vias and vias with heat reliefs. How many do we use?
We can calculate the vias the same way and come up with a recommendation. Of
course, it would be great to check this with experiments. I would be
interested in doing this if someone here wants to partner on the project. I
can have a test board designed and built and do the pulsing. What I need are
standards, suggestions, circuit breaker data, and any other help (such as
researching to see if we are reinventing the wheel. The results would then
be published in Compliance, Conformity, or Printed Circuit design magazine.

     Dave Cuthbert
     Micron Technology