I read in !emc-pstc that emcp...@aol.com wrote (in <144.9826c5b.2b70a07e
@aol.com>) about 'Harmonic & flicker questions' on Mon, 3 Feb 2003:

>    I have some questions about the harmonic/flicker standards.  I would
>    appreciate any input you have.
>
>    1.  What are the differences between EN 61000-3-2:1995 plus A1:1998,
>    A2:1998, & A14:2000 and the new standard EN 61000-3-2:2000?

It's simply not possible to answer questions like this on a mailing
list, especially for A14, which is a LARGE amendment. You really have to
buy the latest standard.

>    2.  What are the differences between EN 61000-3-3:1995 and the new
standard
>    EN 61000-3-3: 1995 plus A1:2001?

It's the same here. A1 is a large amendment and, short of reproducing
the whole text here, it's not possible to tell you the differences.

>    3.  What is the difference between EN 61000-3-3:1995 and EN
>    61000-3-11:2000?  I read in the standard that if equipment is not
meeting
>    the EN 61000-3-3 standard, then this standard applies.  Does this mean I
>    don't need to perform EN 61000-3-11 if I'm passing EN 61000-3-3?

Yes. Section 11 is mainly for equipment rated above 16 A/phase, but CAN
be used for equipment rated below 16 A that doesn't meet section 3.

>    4.  Also, I currently use an HP/Agilent 6842A Harmonic & Flicker Test
System
>    to perform the tests to the old standards.  I called Agilent, and they
said
>    they have discontinued this unit and will not support any software
upgrades
>    after the A14 amendment.  Does anyone know if there is someone that can
>    write some software that will work with the 6842A system?

You also need to take into account that IEC 61000-4-15, the flickermeter
standard, has also been revised.

>    5.  If I have to get a new Harmonic & Flicker Test System, which one do
you
>    recommend?  I would want a system that will perform all of the
standards: EN
>    61000-3-2, EN 61000-3-3, & EN 61000-3-11.  I hope there is a system I
can
>    buy that will be supported 3-4 years from now.

You won't get one instrument that does it all. For 61000-3-11 testing,
you might need a 75 A 3-phase supply. Think of separate boxes,
flickermeter and harmonic test set. Note that the latter should conform
to the recently revised IEC 61000-4-7.
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!