Does the old UK red-black-green colour code still exist anywhere I wonder?
India, Australia and South Africa the old Empire maybe?

There have been several requests here recently for guidance on the European
230V standardisation.

For non-Brits it may amuse you to know I can recall the Electricity Board
visiting everyone's houses in the mid 1950s in England to rerate appliances
for 240V from the old 220-230V. At that time they actually did up the nominal
voltage.

I concur with the statement made here that the supply companies in UK have not
changed a thing in response to the European harmonization. What has happened
is the tolerances have been changed and some of European zones at the low
limit are changing to a higher voltage very slowly.

Importers of voltage sensitive equipment into Europe should beware.

In the UK your equipment will be connected to 240V and will be expected to
work to specification.
The upper limit should be 230 + 10% = 253V but don't hold your breath. Do UK
labs will test with 230V + 10% +10%? or just 230 +10% I wonder?

In rural Portugal and Greece you may find less than 220V for a long time to
come.

And of course there is the 50Hz issue which is not trivial for linear power
supplies.

The harmonization rules allow the UK electricity suppliers to gradually
changeover from 240V to 230V. The process has to be done on a regional basis
as obsolete equipment is replaced. And they have the choice to never change of
course.

Best Regards

Ted Rook, Console Engineering, ext 4659

Please note our new location and phone numbers:

Crest Audio Inc, 16-00 Pollitt Drive
Fair Lawn, NJ 07410 USA

201 475 4600 telephone receptionist, 8.30 - 5 pm EST.
201 475 4659 direct line w/voice mail, 24 hrs.
201 475 4677 fax, 24 hrs.