English colloquialism

'red tape'  is found in large quantities in organizations which have the power
to approve or impede the work of others.

originally: the legal papers used in courts of justice are closed with a piece
of red material

so by implication

red tape is an obstruction to progress while formal procedures are completed.

Best Regards

Ted Rook, Console Engineering, ext 4659

Please note our new location and phone numbers:

Crest Audio Inc, 16-00 Pollitt Drive
Fair Lawn, NJ 07410 USA

201 475 4600 telephone receptionist, 8.30 - 5 pm EST.
201 475 4659 direct line w/voice mail, 24 hrs.
201 475 4677 fax, 24 hrs.