To me, all this regulation can be synopsized:

Electronics shall not put out stuff - conducted or radiated

Electronics shall not be upset when stuff comes in -
susceptibility to conducted or radiated.

Difference in attitude between US and elsewhere:

It is my understanding that in the US the FCC thought not
to complicate the manufacturing process by adding
susceptibility tests to product testing, but rather have
the consumer simply modify their behaviour.  If a product
does not work well because it is easily upset by stuff
coming in, the consumer will buy a different product and/or
complain to the manufacturer, thus automatic control
without FCC intervention.  But in the EC and elsewhere,
they thought to add tests ahead of time in order to
establish a minimum quality standard of performance for the
consumer, like prescreen for the consumer.

Which is better control?  Arguments go both ways.

                  - Robert -

       Robert A. Macy, PE    m...@california.com
       408 286 3985              fx 408 297 9121
       AJM International Electronics Consultants
       101 E San Fernando, Suite 402
       San Jose, CA  95112