I can think of only two way to reduce flicker, provide the control you
need, and keep harmonics low.

The first you already mentioned - a "power factor corrector" (really a
harmonic corrector that also corrects power factor at the same time). What
you need should be quite a bit less expensive than a typical power factor
corrected switching power supply. You need no more than the power factor
correction circuitry, with power flow controlled by heat demand rather than
the need to maintain voltage on an energy storage capacitor (as in a
switching power supply). The design is a bit different, but not greatly so.

The other solution would be to have several heater elements and switch them
carefully. For example, if you presently have a 1500 watt heater, you might
be able to break it up into a 500 watt heater and a 1000 watt heater. The
switching would be done so that there was never more than a 500 watt change
at any time. For example, when the device is first switched on, it would
not start immediately at 1500 watts, but would start at 500 watts, switch
to 1000 watts, and then switch to 1500 watts. These smaller steps, properly
timed, might be enough to pass the flicker standard. NOTE: I have not done
any analysis to prove that this would meet the flicker standard.

The only other thing that comes to mind is a circuit with a power
transistor. The circuit makes the power transistor look like a controllable
resistor, and the transistor is the heater.  Well, it was just a
thought.....

Don Borowski
Schweitzer Engineering Labs
Pullman, WA, USA