I knew that I was headed for trouble when I responded to Ken Javor original
question about EMI frustrations with 10Base2 Ethernet.  I figured the safety
guys would pummel me a little - and I accept the comments.  However, I
couldn't resist since I have experienced the same EMI frustrations.

Nevertheless, good EMI engineers are sometimes faced with an existing design
that uses 10Base2 (legacy, if you will) and has the severe EMI problem that
an experienced EMI engineer could anticipate.  Ignoring it is unacceptable
>from a regulatory point of view (in the case of commercial products), or
>from other spec and/or contract reasons in the government world.  Many, if
not most of the practical solutions appear to violate either the letter or
the spirit of the Ethernet 10Base2 spec.  This puts the EMI engineer in the
same seemingly untenable spot that Ken Javor appeared to be in yesterday.
I've been there and I empathize.

Jim

Jim Knighten, Ph.D.
Teradata, a Division of NCR             http://www.ncr.com