From:   Ken Javor [mailto:ken.ja...@emccompliance.com]
Sent:   Wednesday, March 05, 2003 12:38 PM
To:     emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject:        Ethernet coax connection

Question for list members:

Background:  I am troubleshooting a complex integration of military hardware
and COTS.  One COTS piece of equipment has an RG-58 coaxial connection, but
the coax connector is an isolated feedthrough bnc.  From a radiated
emissions point-of-view, that is hurting us.  One of the engineers here said
that is part of the spec - Ethernet shields are not supposed to be chassis
grounded.

Question:  Can someone please explain the reason for that, and how this is
usually handled to minimize radiated emissions?

Thank you.

Ken Javor
EMC Compliance
Huntsville, Alabama