Chris,

With regard to your questions on EN60601-1:

1. The equivalent UL standard is UL 2601-1, which contains about 40 pages of
deviations and then
the complete text of IEC 60601-1.

2. I know of no reason related to EN 60601-1 that would cause PS manufacturers
to prefer DIN
connectors.

3. Medical equipment may be earthed (Class 1) or double insulation (Class II).
Another issue is the
type of  'applied part' (the part in contact with the patient), which may be
earthed or floating,
depending on the type of medical device.

4. The secondaris of many medical grade power supplies are not designed to be
in direct conductive
connection with the patient. Additional insulation is usually required.

5. Red or yellow indicators must not be used for the ON/OFF switch. Green is
usually used.

Regards,

Jon Griver
http://www.601help.com
The Medical Device Designer's Guide to IEC 60601-1