Hi Folks

>From some of the answers already posted I wonder (although I hope that I am
wrong) is there could there be a very basic issue of comprehension here in
Lisa's original question?

Just to remind you:

-ATEX = Short for "Atmospheres Explosives" or "Explosive Atmospheres".
-> The term is used mainly in conjunction with Directives 94/9/EC (the
Product Directive dealing with certification of equipment for use explosive
atmospheres) and 1999/92/EC (the User Directive aimed at companies that
operate sites where explosive atmospheres do or may exist).

CENELEC is  European Electrotechnical Standards Committee
-> the EU sponsored central body under whose control almost all European
electrical and electronic (except telecomms) standards for all sorts of
equipment are prepared.

CENELEC  works mainly for the EU Commission under mandates to prepare
specific standards, and thus produced all the ATEX product standards
required under 94/9/EC. Certification to these standards, and thus to
Directive 94/9/EC,  is now via the various routes shown in that Directive -
where appropriate, using the services of the organisations registered as
Notified Bodies under that Directive.

All earlier ATEX equipment schemes, including the "CENELEC" scheme have now
be superceeded by the schemes brought in by 94/9/EC.

Regards

John Allen