From: Peter L. Tarver
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Cc: richhug...@aol.com
Sent: 5/13/03 7:32 AM
Subject: RE: Power Adapter LPS

Hi, Richard.

Yes.  UL1310 being a US standard with close ties to NFPA70,
Article 725 and a title of Class 2 Power Units (used to be
titled "Direct Plug-In Transformer Units").  Also, all
standards references were to UL standards, leaving the
distinct impression of a North American only query.
Admittedly, this is sometimes not the case.

> The original question was about meeting LPS
> requirements in UL 60950 and
> Angus McGill asked if having such a supply would
> help in obtaining UL
> approval for the IT equipment (i.e. ITE).

I've already deleted the original posting, but I believe the
question was related to whether or not additional testing of
a Listed Class 2 Power Unit to LPS requirements would aid in
obtaining certification.  If this was the question, the
answer is no.  If the question was intended to go beyond
this, then, certainly, the issues you mention and many
others, still need review.

Regards,

Peter L. Tarver, PE
Product Safety Manager