I was thinking about those far end IR scanners used to monitor travelers
for 'fever'.  So this may be a little O.T.

A prctical 'blackbody' radiates more heat.  A good reflector is a poor
emitter.
I just read more about it from a Physics text (Sears, Zemansky and Young).
:-)

"Chris Maxwell" <chris.maxw...@nettest.com> wrote on 05/13/03 01:35 AM
> Dark skin radiates better, hence the dark coloring of people with African
ancestry.
The text did mention that the radiating charateristic of the human body (
any skin pignentation, I supppose) is a very good approximation to a
'blackbody' as far as the far-end IR for body heat is concerned.  That is
of course, provided that it's temperature is not so high that it became
self-luminous!

For what it matters, the 'Agfans' seem to favour wearing black.  I suppose
apart from the practical reason of not needing  frequent washing ;-), I
suppose these black 'clolors' radiate better under the shade and thus are
'cooler'.

Since it can be so, would anybody go for black equipment housing operating
in hot areas (scorching, 100°F ( high 30s°C) summerdays, or housing that
are close to heat sources like car engines and water heaters)?  Or for that
matter using black bedsheets.  I suppose it can be more than a
cosmetic/fashion statement.

Just my 2 ¢ worth.

Tim Foo