Scott I would disagree on several points:

My recall of heat transfer says that forced convection (i.e. high velocity
forced air cooling) that turbulent air is roughly twice as effective at
cooling as laminar flow air.  Therefore a rough finish or ribbed finish
would be used.  For natural convection smooth finish would aid laminar flow
and therefore be desirable. (Turbulent air flow is not normally achieved
without a forcing function.) Just backwards of what you indicated.

As for color, convective heat sinks will still achieve some radiated heat
loss, particularly at higher temperatures. Therefore the heat sink should
have an emistivity as close to one as possible.  This is best achieved with
a "black body", not polished aluminum.

Fred Townsend