Boris Yost wrote

>> Does one really want to keep the "internal" of an IC decoupled from the
I/O's at high frequencies? If the process technology permits all the
voltages to be the same, is it better to lay down one low-impedance
continous plane? How important is it to keep the 'internal' of an IC
supplied with quiet power--especially if it is at the expense of the output
drivers? If one attempts to separate "internal" from "output" or "specialty
I/O" from "internal", will signals crossing the split within the IC then
make lots of noise because their return currents must go around a circle to
be completed? <<

No matter how sophisticated the IC, its output current comes from a power
source off-chip, and must return -- via the board and the chip -- to that
source.  Failure to insure current goes where we want it to, does there
what we want it to, and flows, when its work is done, where it has to go,
is probably the single most overlooked principle of EMC design.

What we call decoupling is often insufficient to supply the currents
needed, when they are needed, with the result that the isolation someone
has worked hard to provide ... makes things worse. One of the questions I
used to ask applicants -- when I had a job myself -- was, "How much
capacitance is needed on the power pins of (this) device?"  It turns out to
be a neat little problem which many designers ignore by lifting values from
application notes or brassboard test circuits. Sometimes they're lucky.

When we use devices with multiple power pins, we have to be sure we can
provide the current each pin needs, and when it's needed, too -- at THAT
pin.  This pretty much reprises the old EMI hope (because we rarely GOT it)
of at least one bypass capacitor on each Vcc pin. But I'd think it becomes
more critical for large, high speed devices because current must flow in
pins supporting state changes as they occur across the device, and failure
to insure a low-impedance source and return for EVERY Vcc pin can result in
transients on the device that might cause functional problems, and EMI on
the I/O pins, too.

Cheers,

Cortland Richmond