Brian -

Read 1.4.12.2 for an explanation of what is meant by a
"temperature dependent design."

Per 1.4.12.1, Tma is your product's maximum rated operating
ambient, Tamb is the ambient temperature the testing is
performed in.  If your product is only intended for use in a
25C ambient and the testing is done in a 25C ambient, you're
right, the terms cancel out.  But, if you product is
intended for use in a 40C ambient ad tested in a 25C
ambient, the term is nonzero and adjusts Tmax down by the
difference of the two ambient temperatures.

Regards,

Peter L. Tarver, PE
Product Safety Manager
Sanmina-SCI Homologation Services