<£0.02>
I do realise how annoying this is, and therefore whenever I am going to be
out of the office for a period of time long enough to set an away message
for, I unsubscribe from the group. When I return I resubscribe. OK, so I
miss a few days of messages, but that's where the archive comes in handy. In
any case, the list volume is high enough to swamp my company email account
if I remain subscribed for the duration of a two week holiday, for example.
</£0.02>

One potential problem I have not been able to solve in my own mind is the
delay between messages being sent to the list, and them being received by my
mail server. This delay can be up to two days in length. Clearly, although I
would not receive any messages posted after my unsubscribe date/time, there
may already be a significant number of messages pending that will arrive
while autoreply is set. Of course I would never receive my own out of office
messages because I'm not subscribed at the time they are sent, so I would be
none the wiser as to the problem! Does the server refuse posts from
non-subscribers? If so then perhaps the problem may be solved at the server
end: automatically unsubscribe any address that a known format "out of
office reply" originates from, preferably with a suitably descriptive
message back to the address in question to explain what has happened.

Perhaps someone wiser in the ways of Majordomo than I (not hard to imagine)
might enlighten us about more practical ways of solving the problem.

Regards,

Richard King
Electronic Engineer
Thales Communications UK,

        <Message body cut>

        <Message body cut>

Thales Defence (Wells) DISCLAIMER: The information in this message is
confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the
addressee.  Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorised.  If you
are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of
the message, or any action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful.  Please immediately contact the sender if
you have received this message in error. Thank you.