In a message dated 7/2/2003, Chris Colgan writes:

A designer wants to place a ground plane above a mains track on a pcb,
contained within a 230V rated domestic type product.  As far as I can tell,

1)  The minimum thickness of the pcb material between the ground plane and
track should be 0.4mm, the insulation resistance between the two be 4Mohm
and the dielectric strength test be 3kV(rms). (Clause 8.8)

Hi Chris:

I'm not familiar with the details of IEC 65, but in IEC 60950-1, clause
2.10.5.3, titled "Printed Circuit Boards," describes several circuit board
construction methods that can be used as an alternative to the 0.4 mm
thickness requirement.  These generally relate to using two or more layers of
thin sheet insulation, which is pretty easy to do in a circuit board.

I suspect that you may find similar options described somewhere in IEC 65.

Joe Randolph
Telecom Design Consultant
Randolph Telecom, Inc.
781-721-2848