Rich:

I'd like to address the second half of your question, the lowest cost end.

I wanted to have some kind of backup, a sanity check, for my fancy automated
spectrum analyzer system. My solution was to buy old receivers on eBay.

One particular system, the Eaton / Singer / Stoddart Series 7 receivers
(NM-17/27 & NM-37/57) can be used with the CCA-7 quasi-peak adapter, to give
you a very nice back-up or pre-compliance measurement capability. You can run
these in manual mode, or use internal sweeps with an external plotter. And the
amazing thing is that you can get these for $200 or so off of eBay. (The usual
disclaimers; don't buy what you can't fix; the operator has to be smarter than
the machine; do you feel lucky?)

My experience was; bought an NM-17 for $160, works perfectly; bought an NM-37
for $65, bad tuning voltage, took a few hours to fix it; bought a CCA-7 for
$110, works perfectly; bought an NM-7 for $125, works but cal control is
noisy; bought an NM-65 for $175, has a power supply problem but haven't had
time to look at it.

So, using your criteria of lowest cost (and I think the value is there too,
since it does the job), I spent about $650, and got a measurement system that
covers 30 Hz to 12 GHz (OK, the 1-12 GHz part isn't working yet), with a QP
capability too!

Another low-end solution is an HP-141T spectrum analyzer mainframe, with 8552
IF and 8555 & 8553 plug-ins. This will give you 10 kHz to 18 GHz coverage, but
only with a Peak detector. Get an 8556 plug-in, and you can extend the range
down to 30 Hz. I have a complete 141 system, but can't really suggest it too
strongly, since the surplus units are all over the range in quality. Buying
one of these is depending on luck a bit too much for even me. They are still
repairable by humans, but it helps to have very small fingers and lots of
patience.

BTW, one other thing that's often overlooked in the total cost is the fact
that you don't have to maintain any periodic calibration on these back-up
systems. (My company operates with an internal Metrology department, and every
piece of equipment I have has to have a calibration budget, or be declared
non-calibrated support equipment. Some very reliable instruments may have been
written off long ago, but their calibration budgets remain. I have to be
careful that, when I acquire something, I also consider the ongoing
calibration cost too.)

Obviously, the above are not economically competitive systems for a full-time
test lab. OTOH, it's a big improvement over an oscilloscope with a loop probe
antenna, or waving a hand-held scanner over your product.

Regards,

Ed

Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com         WB6WSN
NARTE Certified EMC Engineer & Technician
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Systems
San Diego, CA  USA
858-505-2780  (Voice)
858-505-1583  (Fax)
Military & Avionics EMC Is Our Specialty