I read in !emc-pstc that Brian O'Connell <boconn...@t-yuden.com> wrote
(in <f7e9180f6f7f5840858d3db815e4f7ad1f2...@cms21.t-yuden.com>) about
'CE for components?' on Thu, 3 Jul 2003:

>    "Pre-compliance" EMC testing of component power supplies is
>    problematic. My employer has directed a lot of resources helping
>    customers fix their noise problems. And occasionally, some of our
>    (more clever) customers give us EMC test reports that indicate much
>    better performance than when the installed power supply was tested
>    as stand-alone device...
>
>    There is a reason that I cannot list any EMC standards for
>    component power supplies on the D of C; because the test has no
>    meaning until the unit is installed in the end-use device.

There is a product EMC standard for power supplies - IEC 61204-3. I'm
not sure of its status in Europe.

>    Conversely, there are valid reasons that I can list Product Safety
>    standards on the D of C; because LVD standards define re-producible
>    tests that clearly indicate performance upon end-use abuse.
>
>    There was a CTL meeting report (Helsinki, October 2000) that
>    indicated EMC test data was re-producible internally, but much less
>    so from one lab to another. This variation of EMC test data seems
>    to be "expected", but is never acceptable for Product Safety test
>    data. Go figure....

It's very simple, really. Tests for product safety are not accepted into
standards unless they give reproducible results. The limitations imposed
by the laws of physics are such that many EMC tests, especially those
involving radiate energy, have poor reproducibility of results. But
better tests are simply not available.
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!