Hi All,

Would you like to measure risetimes of internal signals on an IC in a
package? Something like this is possible using E-field coupling.

Most of my articles on noise touch on magnetic field coupling, but
this month's Technical Tidbit presents a simple method of measuring
E-field coupled IC chip noise. Such a measurement can be a useful
troubleshooting tool for designers and EMC personnel as well. One can
even see internal risetimes on the chip.

Abstract: Measuring noise coupled onto a copper foil patch applied to
a chip package can yield useful data. A method of measurement is
suggested and data presented. The data from such a measurement can be
useful for design troubleshooting as well as EMC work. Uses related to
reliable system operation and as well as conclusions for EMC
compliance are presented.

As usual, the link to the article is the picture of the experimental
setup at the bottom of the homepage at http://emcesd.com.

Have a good month,

Doug
--