Sounds like you just described the triboelectric(sp?)
effect and teflon insulation has one of the highest
"electron work functions" you will find.

Mechanical motion causes a separation of the insulation
>from and along the conductor.  That mechanical separation
causes a GUARRANTEED charge separation.  Generates a
voltage.

This effect is the bane of cable makers, that is why the
insulation is so tightly wrapped and stuck to the
conductor.  If not, 1000 feet of cable and the slightest
slippage and you have voltage.

This principle is used in the security industry to make
buried cables that detect any motion for the cable.  Cables
in walls detect drilling and digging through them.  Cables
buried in the ground detect footsteps of people walking
around above ground.  Yes, it is that sensitive.

An example of such a cable is a coax made with teflon
insulation, very loosely wrapped around the center
conductor.  So loose that if you grab the center conductor
with pliers and pull, you can pull the whole 20 feet of
center conductor right out of the coax.

I thought we were talking millivolts when I first heard of
such a cable.  So to check signal level, used a scope on
the cable and with a light tap produced over 8 volts!  The
scope is a high impedance load and the cable is a high
impedance source, but still very energetic.

It is my understanding that this is one of forms of
deterioration for aging cables.

Alas, the solution is to not let a cable move.

                    - Robert -

       Robert A. Macy, PE .. m...@california.com
       408 286 3985 . . . .. . . fx 408 297 9121
       AJM International Electronics Consultants
       101 E San Fernando, Suite 402
       San Jose, CA  95112