Hi Chris:

>   During safety testing at the lab, the unit passes HiPot
>   testing.  However, the unit is broken by the testing.
>
>   Rigorously, the unit "passes" its type testing because
>   it doesn't become unsafe by the Hipot.  However, it isn't
>   functional after the test; and it requires repair.

I have two questions:

1.  Is the functional failure due to over-voltage
    of a component?

Or

2.  Is the functional failure due to the hi-pot
    "leakage" current between primary and secondary?

If 1, then you should be able to disconnect that
component during the test.  Or, you could use the
solution for 2.

If 2, then the problem becomes much more complex.
We test the board before it goes into the product
using a "bed of nails" that equalizes the potential
on throughout the primary and throughout the
secondary.  This prevents current through the
components, yet tests the isolation between primary
and secondary.

Of course, such a test does not test the board in
the end-product, which is a problem if the enclosure
is metal.

Without more details of your circuit and the parts
which are broken, I cannot give you further advice.

Best regards,
Rich