From: garymcintu...@aol.com [mailto:garymcintu...@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 8:56 AM
To: michael.sundst...@nokia.com; lothar.schm...@cetecomusa.com;
cblac...@airspan.com; alex.mcn...@ingenicofortronic.com;
emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Re: CDMA Product Approvals

       So now I'm curious, which came first Ethernet or cell phone. CDMA is
also used on Ethernet. At least the original simplex versions - triple
shielded coax, then cheaper net - essentially phone cables. It wasn't needed
with full duplex PTP transmission, which some might argue isn't true Ethernet.
       I remember seeing those old brick sized cell (mobile?) phones but
thought they were slightly behind LAN's and the precursor to the Internet
ARPANET (probably have wildly misspelled that) seems to have been around much
longer than that.
       So I'm curious what was CDMA originally designed for? Anybody know.
       Gary

Gary:

I seem to recall Titan / Linkabit using CDMA for military data links around
1978.

And did you ever lug around one of those Motorola FM handy-talkies from back
in the early 60's? IIRC, they operated around 50 MHz, and must have weighed 20
pounds.

Regards,

Ed

Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com         WB6WSN
NARTE Certified EMC Engineer & Technician
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Systems
San Diego, CA  USA
858-505-2780  (Voice)
858-505-1583  (Fax)
Military & Avionics EMC Is Our Specialty