I read in !emc-pstc that Ken Javor <ken.ja...@emccompliance.com> wrote
(in <bb5fb6ab.4212%ken.ja...@emccompliance.com>) about 'VDE - EN/HD
cross reference' on Wed, 13 Aug 2003:

>Does anyone know of a resource which would allow me to cross
>> reference the details of a VDE standard to an EN standard, or at
>> least will give me the title of the VDE standard so I can see if it's
>> what I think it is? I have looked at www.vde.de and I can find no on
>> line catalogue or similar which would tell me the title of the
>> standards.

There is no on-line catalogue that I can find, but you can get the
catalogue on CD for free, and it has an on-line update facility. But of
course it's all in German.

>> Specifically, I have been shown a TUV test report which is based on
>> tests to VDE 0281 and 0472. I have absolutely no reason to be
>> suspicious of the report, but the for sake of due diligence, I'm
>> unhappy with just accepting it on the nod because I can' easily
>> confirm that the standards used are the right ones.

VDE0281 is an 11-part standard on cables with PVC insulation. The
catalogue allows the list to be printed out but you can't copy it to the
clipboard! VDE0472 is a 47(!) part standard giving all the test methods
for cables.

>> The fact that I do not speak German does not help, but I suspect I
>> could glean enough even from the German language titles to these
>> standards to tell me what I want to know, but I can't even  find that
>> information.

If you really need that, I could print out the lists and scan them.

>> The report is concerned with some tests on wires used on domestic
>> products, so a cross reference from VDE numbers to the CENELEC HD
>> documents might tell me what I want to know, but I can't find that
>> either.

You can see the HD numbers if you select the 'detailed information'
option from the search results page. VDE0281 is HD21.1S3:1997

>Why can't the HD cable standards be published as ENs?

Because the cable industry wants to keep them as HDs for commercial
reasons. Some information that would have to be put in ENs is not
readily divulged by the cable manufacturers. This even extends, AFAIK,
to the code for the coloured threads that are included in cables to
identify the manufacturer.
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!