From: Georgerian, Richard [ mailto:rgeorger...@carrieraccess.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 9:19 AM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: RE: Hipot question

Greetings All,

Hopefully I am not misinterpreting this thread. I am getting the impression
that there is a current limit requirement when doing the hipot test.

I thought that hipotting is used to determine insulation breakdown. The
breakdown would occur when the current flow (as a result of the applied
voltage) rapidly increases in an uncontrolled manner. Therefore, there can be
as much current flowing as long as there is no breakdown. The touch current
requirement is independent of the hipot or how much current is flowing during
the hipotting.

Thanks.

Richard
=====