Hi Bryan:

>   I have a request from the design community to implement a routine impulse
>   test in lieu of a Hi-Pot test. This product is evaluated to 61010-1 and the
>   reason for the request is that a measuring circuit connected to the
affected
>   output circuit contains a resistor string that cannot withstand the power
>   delivered by the Hi-Pot test [4.6 kVdc across a mom resistor = 4.2 Watts.
>   (this is greater than the 1 Watt resistor rating)].

I am a bit surprised that the hi-pot test would
be required in this circuit.

Generally, hi-pot is applied to insulations between
electrically-isolated circuits.  The resistor string
you describe bridges the insulation and appears to
be sufficiently low that I question whether the two
circuits are isolated for the purposes of safety (in
particular, protection against electric shock).

Or, if the circuits are isolated for safety, then I
question whether the hi-pot voltage is too high for
this specific application.  (If I recall correctly,
the hi-pot for measuring circuits depends on the
external circuits for which the product is rated to
measure.)

If you can provide more details about the measuring
circuit and the function of the product, perhaps we
can give you a better answer.

Best regards,
Rich