From: Spencer, David H [mailto:david.spen...@usa.xerox.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 9:49 AM
To: 'emc-p...@ieee.org'
Subject: MOV's (Varistors to Earth)

Howdy All,

I was curious if anyone out there has place a "separately certified" MOV
>from Line (or Neutral) to Earth as a solution for Surge and placement in the
EU.

The specific application is a pluggable Type B.

The OSM/EE Note 1.5.1 98/2  indicates that for Pluggable Type B (and
permanently connected) equipment that provided the MOV is "separately
certified" it is an acceptable option.
See:  http://www.lyons.demon.co.uk/cenlec01.pdf

For my part this is a check to insure there are no other superceding
requirements  that would not allow a MOV from Line to Earth in the EU.
Also, are most MOV's separately certified?

Any additional  information would be appreciated.

Best Regards
David Spencer

This message, including any attachments, may contain information
that is confidential and proprietary information of Advanced
Energy Industries, Inc.  The dissemination, distribution, use
or copying of this message or any of its attachments is
strictly prohibited without the express written consent of
Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.