> Incorrect.  A dB is a dB.

Correct! But who is talking about db? I'm sure you know that db is a
dimensionless ratio. I believe we were discussing power.

Let’s make sure we all have the formula:

db =  10 log (P1/P2)   or

   =  20 log (V1/V2) + 10 log (Z2/Z1)

A quick scan of the formula will show that we multiply the voltage term by
twice as much as the power term. Also, if Z1=Z2, then we have 10 log of 1
or zero so the impedance (resistance in this case) term drops out.

OK now here is the important part. To convert db from a ratio to units of
power we define 0dbm = 1mwatt into 600 ohms. Since not everyone measures
power we also define 0dbv = 1 mvolt into 600 ohms. Since a millivolt into
600 ohms is not a milliwatt into 600 ohms, using the formula P = (V
squared)/R, we find that 0 dbm is (almost) equal to 6 dbv  into 600 ohms.

Finally back to the point at hand, if the scale on our meter is in dbm
then the half power point is at -3 dbm  (not -3 db). If the scale is in
dbv then the half power point is – 6 dbv (not -6db). In this context -3
dbm is equivalent to -6 dbv.  I apologize to all for using the equal sign
instead of the equivalent.  I think my statements are otherwise accurate.
And to give Ken his due, a db is unquestionably equal to itself.

QED

Fred Townsend

3 dB down is half power but 70.7% voltage.  6