_____

Original Message dated 24/07/2003, 09:08:38

Author: "McBurney, Ian [Allen & Heath UK]" <ian.mcbur...@allen-heath.com>

Re: LED lamps:

  _____

Dear Group;

My company is in the process of designing a low voltage gooseneck lamp using
super bright white LEDs. I have been informed that LEDs are now classed as
laser devices and are subject to specific standards. Can anyone let me know
which standards will apply to this product as it is intended to be sold
worldwide?

Many thanks;

Ian McBurney.

BS EN60950-1:2002 section 4 relates LEDs to lasers and cross refers to IEC
60825-1.

BS EN 60825-1 section 9 describes the method of determining the Class that a
laser (LED) will fall into. It seems to me to be a complicated procedure that
takes into effect the wavelength and power (energy) of the system. What would
worry me as a potential user would be the words on the label if the product
proved to be greater than Class 1, and, as a manufacturer of a consumer
product, the litigation that may follow as a consequence of a user ignoring
the warning and claiming eye damage as a result.

Just my personal thoughts,

Neil Helsby

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com