I have seem a number of class 1 AC/DC switching power supply adapters for
electronic apparatus.  From outlook, it looks similar to class 2 adapter -
plastic case.  The obvious difference is that there is a grounding pcb
containing a large area of copper track soldered on the solder side of master
pcb.  The side facing to the solder side has no copper track at all.  The
grounding pcb is connected to the earth terminal of the mains female connector
on one end and to the earth of the DC output plug on the other end.  I have
following queries and seeking advice.

1.   Function of the grounding plate

The primary and the secondary is reinforced insulation and withstands over
3000Vac.  Is this plate to change the whole safety protection system from
class 2 to class 1?  Or the plate is primarily for EMC suppression?

2.   Earth continuity test

After the unit is completely assembled, should we conduct the test between the
earth terminal of the mains plug and the earth of DC output plug?

3.  Hipot test

As the unit is classified as class 1, 1,500 Vac is applied between the earth
terminal of the mains female connector and the earth of the DC output plug.
Actually, the primary and secondary can withstand 3000 Vac.  Is it correct
test voltage to apply after the unit is completely assembled?

Thanks and regards,

Raymond Li

OSA