From: Peter L. Tarver [mailto:peter.tar...@sanmina-sci.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 2:19 PM
To: PSTC
Subject: electrochemical potentials

I am reviewing some dissimilar material combinations in an
earthing path.  I have reviewed a lot data available on-line
and in a few reference texts.  I would now like to better
understand the origins of Table J.1 in IEC60950.

Does anyone know where the data on which Table J.1 is based
originated?

Was it a reference standard or data from an industry
association?  Something else?

I am finding Table J.1 might be useful as a reference, but
little else.  The types of alloys referenced can have
electrochemical potential differences relative to one
another that vary 10% or more from the values shown in the
table.

I'd appreciate any input you might have.

Regards,

Peter L. Tarver, PE
Product Safety Manager
Homologation Services