Richard Woods wrote:

>> An audio amplifier that processes signals over 9 kHz is considered to be
an "unintentional radiator" and must be verifified. <<

I don't believe I've heard of the FCC actually requiring analog audio gear
to be verified, though even a cheap record player with 10 KHz audio does
fall under the definition (uses >9KHz signals) of an unintentional
radiator. What the heck, a _crystal radio_ falls under that definition.

However, here's an interesting look at the REALLY OLD days:

"... we had a two hundred kilowatt Federal arc that was a Poulsen arc
operated on DC, together with a 3300 foot self-supporting steel tower and
an antenna stretched between three towers. In those days we spoke in terms
of meters, but the wavelength in kilocycles was somewhere between fifteen
and twenty kilocycles. If I am correct, I remember we could hear the
similar installation at Panama without rectifying the signal, those of us
who had good hearing. I mean it came out as an audio signal. ..."
http://www.ieee.org/organizations/history_center/oral_histories/transcripts
/stone9.html

Cortland