I read in !emc-pstc that richhug...@aol.com wrote (in <126.349fcefb.2cea
1...@aol.com>) about 'IEC and EN standard relationships' on Mon, 17 Nov
2003:
>    I did read what you wrote, which was "There are always
>    differences".

Do you pick up on everyone else's posts like this, or are you affording
me special treatment?

>    If you look at what I wrote, you will see that I gave an example of
>    a standard where the CENELEC
>                                 version of the IEC standard has no
>    Common Modifications, no Special National Conditions and no 'A'
>    Deviations.  So where are the differences that always exist?  How
>    can such differences "be specific to one manufacturer"?

OK, among the thousands of standards, you found an exception.

A difference can be specific to one manufacturer if their product does
not conform to a CENELEC variation, but their competitors' products do.
This is not unknown where the unfortunate manufacturer is US-based. I
have found one case myself, a few years ago.

>    Remember that the original question referred to a manufacturer who
>    had lots of IEC standards but did not have the corresponding ENs.
>
>    Personally, I would not make a statement that "There are always
>    differences" between and IEC
>                                 and CENELEC standard because it is
>    absolute - "There are often differences" I could except.

Well that's you, and this is me. We aren't all the same. I'll settle for
the *conservative* advice, that if your product must conform to a
CENELEC standard, you'd better have that standard, not the underlying
IEC standard. There is a 'due diligence' aspect.

>    Of course, if by 'difference' you mean that in CENELEC a previous
>    version of a standard is not
>                                 superseded straight away whereas in
>    IEC it is then I do agree - and I covered this point in my reply.

Yes, that is a good reason for needing the CENELEC standard.

>    Hence, CENELEC standards have a Date of Withdrawal of conflicting
>    standards (commonly, previous versions of the same standard). From
>    a regulatory point of view, the Date of Cessation of
>                                                         the
>    presumption of compliance with the Safety Objectives of the LVD for
>    a superseded standard (set by the Commission) is usually set to be
>    the same as the Date of Withdrawal (set by CENELEC).

Yes. I don't see that it is relevant here.

>    Given an identical product, I cannot see how a standard would be
>    applied differently to manufacture 'A' or manufacturer 'B'.

I covered that above. The standard isn't applied differently: some
products conform to the CENELEC standard, some don't.
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!