Robert Macy asks:

>> Isn't it fraud to sell an item that does not meet spec?  As
in, the vendor says the product is compliant when it is
not.

Don't all the customers then have a legal recourse to
return any/all product? <<

Well -- here's what _I_ think:

Problems arise when a manufacturer has complied with whatever regulations
he needs to establish compliance -- or a presumption of compliance, which
Part 15 makes rather easy.

*We* know that only a carefully designed product is likely to comply with
everything that might be attached to it.  Manufacturers are, however, often
disinclined to spend the time and money it takes to provide such a design.
They are not obliged, under Part 15, to DO so. Think about it: Are we, as
regulatory compliance staff, required to go beyond what compliance takes?

I have argued, in other forums, that customers who find themselves told by
Part 15 to stop using a product that causes interference, should have
recourse under state laws which set out an implied warranty of
serviceability for an intended use. This is a MARKETING reason to do more
than minimal due diligence, and one I have taken to design meetings. I
argue that if it is, because of harmful interference, illegal to use an
item, then it is not serviceable for its intended use, and customers are
entitled to return and refund. However, such RFI complaints as are publicly
available seem to show vendors and manufacturers who prefer to stonewall
and deny.  That, in my opinion, falls well short of fraud, which is a crime
requiring proof -- and libellous to assert absent that proof.

Do note that I am NOT an attorney, this is NOT legal advice, and anyway my
idea what's legal and what's not, may be completely off target.

Cortland