Hi Trevor,

The NEBS levels are functionally defined as:

*       NEBS Level 1; the min acceptable level of environmental
compatibility needed to preclude hazards and degradation of the network
facility and hazards to personnel. Possible applications for Level 1
criteria include prototype equipment for trial, limited deployment of
equipment used for non-vital services, and Competitive Access Provider
collocated equipment. Note: Conformance to Level 1 does not assure equipment
operability or service continuity. Operability criteria are assessed only in
Levels 2 and 3.
*       NEBS Level 2; the min level of environmental compatibility needed to
provide limited assurance of equipment operability within the network
facility environment. This assurance of operability is limited to controlled
or normal environments as defined by the criteria. Possible applications for
Level 2 criteria include equipment deployed in highly controlled
environments such as data centers and widespread or long-term deployments of
equipment performing non-critical network service where loss of equipment
operation under environmental extremes can be tolerated.
*       NEBS Level 3; the min level of environmental compatibility needed to
provide maximum assurance of equipment operability within the network
facility environment. The Level 3 criteria provide the highest assurance of
product operability. Level 3 criteria are suited for equipment applications
which demand minimal service interruptions over the equipment's life.
Possible applications for the Level 3 criteria include critical network
equipment such as digital switches, transport products, and power systems.

Regards,

Carmen Filimon, P.Eng.
Product Safety Engineer,
Leitch Technology Int' l Inc.