John -

IEC60950-1, §2.6.2 deals with Functional Earthing.  If the
earthing is functional only, it does need to be separated by
Double or Reinforced Insulation, or by earthed screening and
Basic Insulation, from parts at hazardous voltage.

Just as for Pluggable Equipment/Class I Equipment, when an
earth is brought into the equipment in a power supply cord,
even if only to facilitate Functional Earthing, the double
insulated symbol (IEC60417-1, Symbol 5172) can not be used.

§1.2.4.1 defines Class I equipment as relying on both Basic
Insulation *and* Protective Earthing.  The Note to §1.2.4.1
states that Class I Equipment may also contain Double or
Insulation and this appears to be the nod that Rich was
referring to.

No where does the standard state that by simply providing a
Functional Earth, even through an appliance inlet (implying
use of a power supply cord), the equipment is not considered
Class II.  One is simply limited to not marking with the
aforementioned symbol.

I'd appreciate hearing more from you on this Rich.

Regards,

Peter L. Tarver, PE
ptar...@ieee.org