Ian,

Almost certainly a typo. I am fairly certain that they mean IEC60601-1.
The IEC and UL versions are very similar, but the UL version includes
national variations for the USA so these will need to be taken into account.
You will find the requirements of this standard more demanding than most
other safety standards, but all the principles are the same. I'm afraid
there is no substitute for reading the standard, making sure that you
understand the terminology, and then applying it to your product.
I think that understanding and applying the standard is possibly the least
part of gaining approval for medical devices. The regulatory requirements
and the expectations of the regulators demand as much if not more attention.
I can thoroughly recommend the FDA document FDA 97-4179, "Medical Device
Quality Systems Manual: A Small Entity Compliance Guide" which can be
downloaded from the FDA website.

Best regards,

Neil R. Barker C.Eng. MIEE MIEEE MSEE
Manager