Fellow Compliance Engineers,

Certainly we would all prefer that our company's products be designed for
initial/immediate compliance, that we have multiple samples available for
testing, and that all the testing is completed without failure. However, in
the real world scenario of one sample for both safety & EMC, that may not
pass all tests, would you recommend that safety certification/testing be
done before or after EMC testing? The key issue being whether a "fix" for
one discipline will require a re-test for the other discipline.

Personally, I have always recommended that safety be done 1st for two
reasons:
1)      Changes for safety almost always affect EMC testing but EMC changes
seldom affect safety testing and,
2)      Safety re-tests are far less expensive than EMC re-tests.

Do you agree? Any there any other philosophies on this topic?

Thanks for your input,

Bill Bisenius
E.D.& D.
bi...@productsafet.com <mailto:bi...@productsafet.com>