From: Mike  Hopkins <michael.hopk...@thermo.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:18:24 -0400
To: "'Ken Javor'" <ken.ja...@emccompliance.com>, emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: RE: Defining an ESD Threat

Simple thing to do is take an ESD simulator and try charging some objects in
that environment and see if they will hold a charge.... In high humidity, I'd
expect charges to bleed off very quickly on most objects, which is why the ESD
threat would be low....

In low humidity, of course, the charged surfaces and/or objects would tend to
hold a charge...

If a person becomes charged due to triboelectric charging walking across a
carpet, I don't know that a high humidity prevents charging -- but it will
definately bleed a charge off quickly.... Maybe faster than the charging can
take place???

None of this is quantitative, of course,,,,

Best Regards,

Michael Hopkins
Control Technology Division
Compliance Test Solutions
Thermo Electron Corporation
One Lowell Research Center
Lowell, MA 01852
Tel: +1 978 275 0800 ext. 334
Mobile: +1 603 765 3736
michael.hopk...@thermo.com

One Thermo, committed to integrity, intensity, innovation & involvement