Hi Chris:

>   1.  A case designed with a wall wart power input and a spot for AA sized
>   batteries.
>
>   2.  The product would be designed to recharge AA sized NiMh batteries,
>   if installed.
>
>   3.  Alternatively, the user could install AA sized alkaline batteries;
>   but they would have to set a switch in the battery compartment to
>   disable the charge circuitry.
>
>   Assuming all warning labels and documentation were in place?  Is this a
>   generally accepted practice; or is it too unsafe to require the customer
>   to throw a switch.

For the purposes of safety, the switch is useless
because the charger would be tested with all AA-
sized batteries with the switch in both positions.

Today, low-cost battery-chargers include circuits
that can detect the type of battery and charge or
not charge accordingly.  I believe commercial
battery-charger ICs are available which will both
detect the type of battery and charge (or not
charge) accordingly.

Best regards,
Rich

Visit our web site at:  http://www.ieee-pses.org/